The evangelical church from Ormeniș
There are over 160 fortified churches in Transilvania, approximately 100 built during the Middle Ages. Currently, more than half of them are in various states of disrepair. Dächerprogramm (roof programme) refers to maintenance work for the roof of the buildings that are currently in an advanced state of degradation, and improvement of the water evacuation system. The main purpose of these interventions is to guarantee the preservation of these monuments through ensuring the sealness of the roof, therefore preventing water infiltration. The carpentry work is executed through traditional techniques, according to the standards of classical restoration. The ceramic tile cover is typically taken apart and checked manually, followed by the reuse of the elements that conform to the quality standards and replacement of the inadequate ones with second hand or manually produced tiles. The water drainage system is improved through cleaning the existing gutters, replacing the parts that are degraded, installing gutters where they are needed, or, alternatively, designing a duct on the perimeter of the building to direct the water outwards. The fortified church of Ormeniș Ormeniș village belongs to the unit of Viișoara, and is located alongside the communal road 70, approximately 12 kilometers away from the city of Dumbrăveni. The property includes the Evangelical Church and the enclosure wall, and is located in the center of the village, tangent to the communal road. It is listed in the Historical Monuments List under the code Ms-II-a-A-12738 (XVIth-XVIIth century). Initially a Catholic Church with a hall type plan and a flat ceiling choir, the edifice was built in the XVIth century. A series of constructive additions followed, such as the vault that now covers the choir, the cup shaped font (1703), the three fold altar (1720) and the organ (1875). In the XVIIIth century the fortified wall was added. It has a poligonal, irregular shape, a low height, and in its south-east corner sits the bell tower.