There are over 160 fortified churches in Transilvania, approximately 100 built during the Middle Ages. Currently, more than half of them are in various states of disrepair.
Dächerprogramm (roof programme) refers to maintenance work for the roof of the buildings that are currently in an advanced state of degradation, and improvement of the water evacuation system. The main purpose of these interventions is to guarantee the preservation of these monuments through ensuring the sealness of the roof, therefore preventing water infiltration. The carpentry work is executed through traditional techniques, according to the standards of classical restoration. The ceramic tile cover is typically taken apart and checked manually, followed by the reuse of the elements that conform to the quality standards and replacement of the inadequate ones with second hand or manually produced tiles. The water drainage system is improved through cleaning the existing gutters, replacing the parts that are degraded, installing gutters where they are needed, or, alternatively, designing a duct on the perimeter of the building to direct the water outwards.
The fortified church of Ruși Ruși village belongs to Slimnic commune, located in Sibiu county. The first documentary mention of the locality dates from 1424. The ensemble consists of the evangelical church, the enclosure wall and the bell tower. The property can be found on the List of Historical Monuments, with the code SB-II-m-B-12529. Initially, in 1636, an evangelical church was built in place of an older Catholic church, but later, in 1780, due to landslides, it collapsed. In 1782, the current church was built, with a square choir and a polygonal enclosure, covered with a straight ceiling. In 1845 the two side halls were demolished, which were completely removed in 1920, when the church underwent a process of repairs, because in 1914, the church had been closed due to structural deficiencies. The church is surrounded by a simple enclosure wall, on which there are firing holes. Several towers were mentioned in 1741, but they were in a state of decay. The bell tower, built in 1749, is positioned in the city wall. In 1858 it was found that it deviated from the vertical by 18 °.